Sunday, August 24, 2008

grady's cake

i am not sure why, but i always have to make simple things difficult. this is very true with grady's cake this year...i probably have been watching a little bit too much Ace of Cakes, so i channeled my inner duff, mary alice, geoff, katherine, and crew...here are the results. i am really happy with the way that it turned out, but i don't think that duff will be calling me anytime soon!

i bought a sheet cake from publix and cut and constructed the truck form...i then attempted to use fondant for the first time...i thought that it couldn't be much different than clay, but i was mistaken. once i finished covering it, i painted some details on with the icing dye. for the final touch i added chocolate pudding and oreos to the bed, and donuts for the wheels. it was really fun to make, but a lot of work!


the license plate was grady's birthday.


mm asked if i would make her a cake. of course, i told her that i would...i am really fortunate that her birthday is 9 months away!

if you are interested....here are some construction pictures on flickr

2 comments:

Pelham said...

I am so very proud of the cake. I got to see it with my own eyes. I got to witness the construction of the dump truck. Job well done Fi!

Margaret C. Sanders said...

I can't believe you made that. Wow! Duff, Mary Alice and my favorite, Geoff, may really give you a call. You can comprise the southern office.